Thursday, October 22, 2009

Shiver (Book 1 of the Wolves of Mercy Falls Series) by Maggie Stiefvater


This book was really amazing. I read it in a matter of a day and a half, and that involved 16 hours worth of working and another 6 or so of sleep. Not much time to take to read, but it is oh-so-worth-it!

This book follows Grace and Sam. Grace is a girl who was once attacked by wolves when she was a child. One wolf in particular had these intense yellow eyes. This one wolfe stepped up and made the rest of the pack back off, thus saving her life. Every winter there-after she stayed outside in her backyard watching him, as he'd never approach her. One winter, he finally allows her to approach. Once she runs her fingers through his fur, it's all over.

A local boy was killed by the wolves when he was outside shooting them with his BB gun. So the men of the town set out on a hunting trip to rid the woods of the wolves. One gets shot, and ends up at Grace's back porch, human. It's Sam, bleeding and shivering from the cold. Grace acts quickly to help him, rushing him to the hospital. Once he wakes up, he tells her about who/what he is. She already knew, because those eyes are the same.

Now a jealous wolf is out for Grace's blood, and Sam is fighting against the winter to stay human for one last time.

6 comments:

MrsMixx said...

Oh isee you did enjoy this book! I think the main thing that is keeping me back is that i don't really like cop/detective novels, i've read quite a few though but it's not something i'm really looking forward. Humm i don't know why...

But I enjoyed Street Magic so i guess i should give this book a chance...shouldn't i?

Did you like the Heroine? From the reviews i've read so far the main problem peaple mentioned is that they didn't like Luna...

I see you're already reading book 2! i'll definitely be waiting to see what you think of it =)

MrsMixx said...

LOL so....as you can see i made a slight mistake when posting my comment lol this was meant for Night Life....

And also i must have smoken weeds this morning or something because i thought i was the cover of book 2 in your sidebar but that's the cover for book 1...;
Seriously i'm ashamed of myself today...i'm not making much sense sooooooooooryy about that...

*clears throat* SO this time this is for SHIVER.... It looks like an interesting book, a bit like a tale or something like that. I like the story and it change a bit from other werewolves books.
Is this a stand alone or will there be a sequel?

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Shiver was a stand alone. It was sort of cast as a tale with real people. It was sad in a few places and definitely tense in others. I really think you'll like this book.

And as far as something else I forgot to mention about Night Life (sense you seem to be missing the right comment boxes lol) I thought I'd mention it here. I'm not working on book 2 yet, but I do plan to read it. I want to find out what happens between Luna and Dmitri. Let's just say sexual tension and I thought "just get on with it!" at times.

MrsMixx said...

ohh i sometimes feel like screaming "just get on with it" too lol it's funny how in some books the characters are nearly crawling all over themselves in 3 pages and sometimes you want something to happen and NO nothing! arghhh it's so frustrating!

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I know it was like that in the Jaz Parks books. Finally at the VERY end of book 5!!! I can't wait for #6.. :)

MrsMixx said...

i stiiiiiiill haven't read the first Jaz Parks! *sigh* i wish i had more time to read