Monday, December 7, 2009

Good News Everyone!

Alright, I've got my outline done for the first book of The Earthen Witch Series. I've actually had it done for a few weeks, but life kept getting in the way from actually getting it fully written out.

I was finally able to get a good large chunk of time writing yesterday, about 5-6 hours total, I wasn't counting. I have to tell you, I have a long way to go. The best part is that I'm having a blast!

I managed, in my decent sized time slot, to get about 7,000 words completed! Many writers shoot for 1,000 a day! I was very pleasantly suprised at how useful my outline has become.

I know Connor and Aisling from the inside out, and I know who they meet and know along their journey and I couldn't be happier that I know what's going on before I get there. Sure, I may find something I want to add that wasn't already in my outline, but I definitely found that having that outline out and at my disposal, I would have completely forgotten some significant parts!

So in essentially 2 days of outlining (about 500 words or so) I managed to mash out 4 chapters and 7,000 words. To give you a bit of an idea, I outlined for roughly a month, some more detailed than others. I'm not a math genious--hence being a writer--but I'm guessing this book is going to be a very nice length! I would say, probably 100,000 or perhaps more, depending on how much detail I actually provide.

Here's my goals with this draft, my ultimate plot-to-destroy-the-world-Pinky plan! I'm going to work my hardest to get as much time as I can during the week, even if it's only for an hour, every bit of time counts. During the weekends, if I actually don't get lazy and decide to watch a movie (which I'm promising myself I'm not gonna do!), I'm planning on *crosses fingers* another 5-6 hours on BOTH Saturdays and Sundays. So based on my non-analytical brain workin' math, if I did about 7,000 words in that 6 hours, I did just over 1,000 words per hour.

So let's do the math here. Working 1 hour every night Monday through Friday = 5,000 words, and another 7,000 words on each weekend day which would equal 14,000 words. Week days till Christmas: 13 (I'm counting Christmas Eve as a weekend day); Weekend days till Christmas: 5.

Crapz! I'm only at 55,000 words! That would MAYBE get me halfway through. So much for trying to get everything done by Christmas. Never fear! I will work my hardest and get done ASAP. If I'm not done by Christmas, I will be done soon after that because I'm on vacation until January 4th! WOOT!

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress! Wish me luck! Are you excited yet?

5 comments:

MrsMixx said...

*waves hand frantically in the air* I am I am!!! YAy that's such good news! That's a lot of work ahead of you but the best part is that you're enjoying everypart of the process.
I can't wait to know more about your progress! And i can't wait to learn more about Ailsing and Connor! Damn i feel like i know them already *g*
Ohhhhh and yay for choosing this title for the series The Earthen Witch series is a damn good name (stop saying Damn Caroline, Damn it!)

MrsMixx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MrsMixx said...

ughh sorry about that, i posted it twice...i'm such a blonde sometimes (as in always lol)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Hehe, multiples are ok, they happen sometimes. I'm glad you're excited and I do plan on keeping you up to date as much as I can. I'm glad you like the title. I haven't figured out a perfect title for book 1 itself, but I'm likin' the series title! Thanks for your support! :) As always.

Stories of a Phoenix said...

huh. maybe i've lost my sense of color, but you don't LOOK blonde.. maybe it's me.