Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan


I must say I was completely floored by this book. I wasn't expectin' it to be quite so insanely intense! Anyhoo, I'm going to break it down, be careful though, there may be some spoilers ahead.

So this book is 'bout a girl named Mary. She lives in a secluded village in the middle of a forest, aptly named the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Their village is surrounded also by a fence, a border to keep the villagers safe from the Unconsecrated. Now, Ryan doesn't really come out and say what they really are, but based on the lore of the history of Zombies, I'd be willin' to bet moolah that that's what's happenin'. So it's many generations in the future, based on the decrepit pictures and old clippings of newspaper that are discovered along Mary's journey.

Mary loses her mother to the Unconsecrated at the beginning of the book, and her elder brother casts her out and she's forced to join the Sisterhood, much like a nunery. These Sisters run the town, and Mary is given the responsibility of praying over her childhood friend, her love, Travis after he breaks his leg. She discovers a horrendous secret that the Sisters have been hiding from them, they even "create" a Fast One, an Unconsecrated with unparalleled speed and agility, making her extremely dangerous.

Days later, the Fast One finds a way to break through the fence and a breach into the village is created. Many are massacred in front of Mary's eyes, and the only refuge they can find is a pathway away from the village that is safeguarded by an unbreached fence. Mary, a young boy, her childhood friends, her dog, and her brother and wife are with her.

It seems as though one thing after another happens, until eventually, the last one left is Mary.

This book will seriously make you think. Sometimes I thought Mary was a bit too dreamy for her own good, but she stood up and fought when it was necessary. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but it definitely leaves me thinking, as it would anyone else who reads it. I highly recommend it.

11 comments:

MrsMixx said...

i can't read this book... it looks like a depressing one. And really i can't bear to read depressing books.
Even the cover looks sad...
I might be missing something here though

Stories of a Phoenix said...

You're right it was very depressing. If that's not really something you'd go for, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not really one for those types either, but since Carrie Ryan is a friend on Twitter, I figured I'd give it a whirl.

MrsMixx said...

It's better to know BEFORE reading it...i had bad surprises with some books. That's why it's reviews like yours here that save me from a world of pain ;)So thanks!!

Hehe I think it took me more than 3 months to get over the death of a character in one of Kim Harrison's book lol (crazy me)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Which book of hers was that? I have a few on my list of hers to read soon.

MrsMixx said...

Oh i love her Hollow Series...i LOVE those books. Have you read Dead Which Walking? this is the first of the series. I've read them all. (I cried with For a Few Demons More...which still was an amazing book!)
I also read her YA book Once Dead Twice Shy

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I actually just started Dead Witch Walking last night. I finished Ghostland by Jory Strong, wrote for a few hours and then started on it. I also have White Witch Black Curse. Maybe I should read that first before starting the series.

MrsMixx said...

Ohhh you're reading Dead Witch Walking? great!! that's one of my favorite books. White Witch Black Curse being the last (for now) of the series you should read it last. (well some people can read books in any order, but i can't i read them chronologically)

I have not heard about ghostland. I'll read your review of it if you make one ;)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I'm going to post a review either today or tomorrow for Ghostland. I'm thinking I need to figure out what books are in that series and in what order. I didn't even know it was a series. I thought there was another series of hers.

MrsMixx said...

oh let met help you there:
n°1 : Dead witch Walking
n°2 : The Good The Bad and the Undead
n°3 : Every Which Way but Dead
n°4 : A fistful of Charms
n°5 : For a few Demons more
n°6 : The Outlaw Demon Wails
n°7 : White Witch Black Curse

That's the Hollows series.

and she has a new YA series with the 1st book called : Once Dead Twice Shy

Hope it helped =)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Wow! Thanks for the list. It's interesting how Once Dead Twice Shy and Once Bitten Twice Shy are similar titles. I'm sure it's a coinkidink (coincidence) though...

MrsMixx said...

yeah i thought about that too when i heard the name of the books! They sure aren't the same though lol Once Dead Twice Shy is really Young Adult material! I don't think we can say the same about the Jaz Parks series lol