Monday, July 20, 2009

Ghostland by Jory Strong

I have finished reading Ghostland by Jory Strong. I am giving this book a full 5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Reader beware though, this is an Urban Fantasy Romance, which means you kiddies out there would probably need to wait a few years before reading it.

This book follows the story of a young woman named Aisling in a post-apocalyptic world filled with devastation and destruction aftermath. The supernaturals: vampires, werewolves, demons, angels, etc have surfaced and hunt in the night. Aisling is a Shamaness, with the ability to travel into the spiritlands or Ghostland to communicate with the dead, or find answers, depending on the request of her customers.

When she was summoned to help with a case involving the Church, she called upon an unknown being named Zurael to help her with her task. Zurael is a prince in the House of the Serpent among the Djinn, neither good nor evil, but portrayed as demons in the real world. He fears only one thing, becoming ifrit which means being permanently bound to a human to do their bidding.

He leaves his lands to seek justice against Aisling, because he fears that she would be able to bind him, but when he finds her, he cannot kill her. He protects her, using her as bait to find an ancient relic to keep the knowledge of how to bind a Djinn before going through his plan to kill her.

This was a fantastic story, and I'm planning on adding this to my permanent collection. I highly suggest you read this!

6 comments:

MrsMixx said...

Ohh this really looks good! Your review make me wanna read the book.Is it a stand-alone novel?or will there be a sequel to this book?
I'll have to wait to read this one (coz money doesn't grow on trees...or does it?) but it really sounds like something i'd read.

Oh and on another subject, since you're reading the Kim Harrison series. Book N°8 'Black Magic Sanction' will be released February 2010! So you have until then to read the 7 preceeding books ;)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

It looks like Spider-Touched will be coming out August 4th of this year. It's not the same people, but it's set in the same post-apocalyptic world.

Jory Strong has a bunch of other books out there, some paranormal, some crime, some suspence, and of course, urban fantasy. But keep in mind some of them are pretty racy, so check out her website for more info www.jorystrong.com.

I'm sure I'll get the first 7 books read within 2 months, I read the Sookie Stackhouse books for the first time (like 8 books, mind you) in about a month. But I'll definitely add that to my list of books to buy when they're released!

MrsMixx said...

Oh thanks for the link.
Yeah i see now that some of Jory Strong's books look like real erotica.
At least Ghostland doesn't have naked bodies on the cover lol, i'd be too embarrassed to read it near my parents lol Yeah i'm nearly 24 but i'd still be embarrassed!

I don't mind spicy hot romance in a book, it's just that i don't want it to be the whole story.I want a story and then you can add some hot actions lol (i'm not making much sense huh?) It looks like Ghostland has a real story going on apart from the erotica.

I know how quickly series can be read! I've read the Sookies in no time and the same with the Dresden Files and the Otherworld Series. When i'm addicted to a series there's no stopping me either!

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I've got the Otherworld series on my list, but what's the Dresden Files?

Yeah I noticed that too with the book covers. But yeah Ghostland has a very distinct plotline, and it throws some steamy goodness in there too. It's not overpowered with just the sex, but it's in there and it's done well. It goes a bit more in depth than Harris did with the Sookie books but it's essentially the same essence.

I'm a teensy bit older than you, and I definitely wouldn't want to be reading a book with naked people on the front. This book doesn't look like it's "erotic" by the cover. Usually you can tell by the basic Harlequin-esque covers.

MrsMixx said...

Well that's good then, Ghostland stays on my list of books-to-read!
I've read some of J.R Ward's books and the covers already attracted my parents attention lol not a discussion i wanna have with them...

The Dresden Files are books written by Jim Butcher. I love this series. It's the story of the wizard Harry Dresden who is a private investigator for all the things that go bump in the night.
The poor Harry is always trying to save everyone, well he often doesn't have a choice.
The series keep on getting better, there is actually only one book out of 11 (the 2nd) that i had trouble reading (not the vision of Werewolf i liked,) but i still liked it. The hero is really funny and attaching and his "assistant" Bob the Skull is hilarious.
i'm completely addicted to these books now.
http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/
I'm really not good at explaining this website would help you better

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I'll definitely add those to my list. Hopefully his website has them in order so I don't make the mistake like I almost did with the Hollows series!

I looked at J.R. Wards books and I can really see how your parents might have been a bit curious about them. I recently read the Edge series by Ryhannon Byrd, it's a paranormal romance series following the stories of 3 siblings. The books don't really give a whole lot away but if you take in the titles mixed with the covers, you can guess what they might be.

My mother came over for the 4th and she saw I was reading one, she inquired about it because we have similar tastes in books. I told her it was good, but then I mentioned it was a Harlequin and she was shocked they made those like that. I couldn't help but laugh.

Although I'm not really as "raunchy" as Byrd or Strong (I'm more like Harris), but believe me, they're more fun to write them than read, because you are in control!