Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison




As you guys read from Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper short story here, she's dead managing a physical form by a powerful amulet that hangs around her neck. As I mentioned, there's a difference between a dark reaper and a light reaper. Light reapers believe in choice, dark in fate. There is only one Timekeeper on either side who pass the orders down to the reapers. Kairos, or Seth as we knew him in the short story is the dark Timekeeper. Keeping up? Good. Madison roughed him up in the morgue and stole his amulet and made it her own. From there on, she has a constant struggle of staying "alive" or not getting her soul destroyed by Kairos. Barnabas is instructed by the light Timekeeper to watch over Madison and keep her safe. They run into some trouble on some campgrounds when a reaper tries to off a girl. Madison and Barnabas prevent the reaping, but they get identified. Barnabas and the light Timekeeper must then go to the Seraphs (higher-up angels and such) to see what they can do for Madison, leaving her in the care of a cherub, which reminds me of the Pixy Jenks in Harrison's Hollows series.

Kairos attempts to off Josh, the guy who originally took Maddy to the prom, Mr. Pity-Date. Madison sets out to keep him safe. She learns some nifty tricks and names her flying guardian angel Grace. Grace agrees to keep Josh safe, since apparently he's a target. From then on, it's a struggle not only for her own life, but Josh's as well. But I'm not going to give away the ending. It's too good to kiss-and-tell.

Harrison delivers another series with twists and turns and crazy shenanigans of dead girl Madison. As I said before, I like Madison, and this book did not disappoint. It's just another one of those paranormal worlds living right under our noses. Go read this, I promise you won't regret it.

5 comments:

MrsMixx said...

Grace does remind me of Jenks! (the songs she made up were really funny too)
I would have loved to read this series when i was a teenager, i think today's teenager are lucky, because i was stuck with crappy books then!

Josh, Mr.Pity-date that made me laugh. But yeah before she told him about being dead he was really getting on my nerves.
I can't wait to read what happens now

(and also i just loved the cover of this book)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

It almost looks like she's pressing her lips together slightly, as if she's worried about something. I really liked the cover too. Very girly in a very cool kind of way.

I did like Grace very much, her songs were hilarious, but I liked how she kept doing things that would seem natural to people, like naming her, that ended up changing the way Grace worked.

And I defitely agree about Josh, he would have never given her a chance had she not told him (and he survived through it of course). I wonder when the next comes out...

MrsMixx said...

i think the next book is in the editing phase...i'd say we'll probably have it in 2010. Well at least i hope so

Stories of a Phoenix said...

That would be cool! The bad thing about a new series is the waiting. I hate having to wait for the next installment. But what can you do?

MrsMixx said...

*grins* we could stalk and kidnap the author until we get what we want *grins*

or wait :p