Monday, August 3, 2009

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev


I give this book an enthusiastic 5 stars, 2 thumbs up, what-have-you!! I was absolutely floored.

When the book started out, I admit I was a little confused as to what was going on, but once I realized the Theatre Illuminata is actually a magical place, I understood how so much could go on and happen at a moments notice. I was a few hours into reading when this dawned on me, although if I really understood that to start with I would have enjoyed the beginning a bit more. No worries though! It did a very nice job at redeeming itself from it's early confuzzlements. This book follows the story of Bertie. She was left so-to-speak at the doorstep of the theater as a young child and she struggled to make her world livable within the theater.

She made friends, most notably the four troublesome fairies. On a side note, I loved the fairies, they were every bit as annoying and lovable as I imagined they could be. Bertie had a growing attraction for Nate, a pirate from The Little Mermaid but the mysterious Ariel has other agendas for Bertie and the theatre as a whole. When Bertie's entire existence at the theatre is threatened, she steps up her game to become a director. Many things go wrong and in the end she and her friends set off to rescue a member of the theatre.

Honestly, I cannot wait until the next one arrives on bookshelves. Even though I bought the book on the day it was released, I put it off, thinking I'd be able to draw out a good thing. I wish I had read it earlier, it was just too good! But not in a bad way, never.

Ms. Mantchev, keep 'em coming. To be honest, I think that the original idea of a trilogy could be very easily made into a full-length series! I would love to see more and more and more of Bertie and the rest of the gang.

Anyone out there who has read any Shakespeare or seen any plays in a theater that you found unforgettable, anyone who has read a fantasy book, anyone in general. You. Have. Got. To. Read. This. Book. I cannot recommend it more!

3 comments:

MrsMixx said...

I haven't read your review yet lol...is there spoilers in it?

I need to read this book really! It's been a week since i received it.
Alright i'll be back when i finished it, to read your review and let you know what i though about the book.

ps: the cover is AMAZING

MrsMixx said...

First of all: Have you seen this?
http://alaskanmermaid.livejournal.com/124061.html
I'm in love with these wallpapers, it gives life to the characters. I found them amazing.

Second: THANK YOU for the little hint about the Theatre Illuminata...seriously i began reading the book before reading your review and i was a bit puzzled about the story. Then when you said your review was spoiler free i read it...and yeah a big 'DUH!' ...nowwww it made sense...it's a magical place!!!

I'm still reading the book so i can't say too much but i do love what i've read so far! I'll be back with more =P

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I'm glad my notice helped you out!! I'm going yo have to download some of those wallpapers! Thanks for the link!