Friday, August 21, 2009

Staked (Book 1 of the Void City Series) by J.F. Lewis


Alright I thought about putting this off for a few days, but I just can't. I absolutely adored this book. It's the first of Lewis's Void City series. I give this book two thumbs up, way up!

It follows the story of Eric, a vampire suffering amnesia, who usually can't remember what happened only moments before. The book begins with Eric, just realizing he blacked out and killed a vampire he recognizes but can't place. He's attacked by a werewolf, but manages to survive. The sun comes up and a van comes to rescue him and take him home to his strip club, the Demon Heart, and neighboring vintage theater, the Pollux.

Eric's girlfriend, human, named Tabitha helps him feel better and, because Eric's such a softie, he finally agrees to turn Tabitha into a vampire. One thing after another happens as the local werewolves come after Eric for retribution, while Tabitha comes to terms with her new undead life.

This is a thrill ride you just can't resist. And, much like I experienced when readin' the Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin, I laughed most of the way through it. I highly recommend reading this piece of überfun.

Visit Lewis's site for more information@ www.authoratlarge.com

4 comments:

MrsMixx said...

i knew you wouldn't resist!!
i LOVED this book as you know, and the fact that we also have Tabitha's point of view is refreshing.
At first i thought i wouldn't like her chapters because Eric was always saying how 'stupid' she was, or at least really shallow. But she grew on me.

One thing i adore about this book is that it's really gory lol but it still manage to be really funny. Once or twice i was laughing because it was all so gross.
The humour is the perfect blend for me.
Eric is something else....how can you not care if your friends are screwing you over. It's such a strange concept for me. I was so mad at him when he acted like that lol but well he's right, if you don't know about it, you won't get hurt

The thing that struck me is that this book succeeds in being amazing and original even though it's full of clichés and "chosen one" theme. I love it when i'm surprised by a book

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I know at first I thought, if she's so stupid or shallow why are we getting her point of view. But I did see how she was valuable, she wasn't stupid, but maybe only a little slow on the uptake. Otherwise she was a good balance to Eric.

I too wasn't really enjoying the fact that Eric didn't want to know, but as always, people can have different views. He doesn't want to admit it, but he cares too much about people to believe that they could hurt him and he doesn't want to know if that was the case.

MrsMixx said...

lol it's true that Tabitha was a bit slow and she's still quite blind concerning Eric but i guess she's learning...

And yeah Eric cares a lot, it's easy to see with Greta, that's his baby girl and he won't let anything hurt her (and i won't even start on 'Fang The stang'). But still he made me want to shake him until he opened his eyes lol
At least we can say Eric is not your typical character lol

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I know. I really loved the interaction he has with Greta. Lewis never comes out and says it, but you can guess what happened to her as a child. Although she has her quirks, she's still seen as his little girl and he shows that in so many ways.