Monday, August 31, 2009

The Summoning (Book 1 of the Darkest Powers Series) by Kelley Armstrong


This was an outstanding book. I can't stress enough how much I really loved this book.

Following the case of Chloe Saunders, haunted with a strange childhood that included the tragic death of her mother, she finds that she is very different from other girls her age. She suddenly begins to see ghosts, and she is chased by one in her school before taken away to the hospital for psychic evaluations. She is then sent to the Lyle House to recouperate with other kids her age. She finds out that she has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia.

Strange events begin to occur inside the walls of Lyle house, Derek and Simon begin to tell her that all is not what it seems. Chloe finds out that some other kids in the house harbor supernatural abilities. And she comes to the realization that she isn't Schizophrenic, she can actually see and communicate with ghosts. She's a Necromancer, with a very strong capability of raising the dead.

My only problem with this book was that it ended in a cliffhanger. I cannot wait to get my hands on book 2 to find out more of what happens. I highly recommend this book!

8 comments:

MrsMixx said...

Oh i know how that feels lol, i was frustrated when i finished this book, THAT's the kind of cliffhanger i hate! lol
I love Kelley Armstrong and her YA series is really exciting. I just can't wait for book 3 to come out.

Book 2 is a bit slow i'd say but i still liked it a lot.

*sigh* Derek... (yes i know cradle robber lol)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

LOL is it just me? I totally want Chloe and Derek to get together. It seems like they should have more than her with Simon. Dare to dream maybe?

I don't care if he's all pimply, you still can't resist something like that.

MrsMixx said...

i don't know why but i just love Derek *sigh*

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I really like him too. I was trying to find information about book 2 right after I finished book 1. I was so afraid he was dead, or was going to end up dead!

MrsMixx said...

lol and here i was trying not to give you spoilers from book 2! lol
let's say i 'still' like Derek a lot =P

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I know. I totally cheated and looked at the synopsis for book 3. He's still in it so I'm happy :)

MrsMixx said...

Bad, Bad Sarah!!!
You not what curiosity did to the cat?!! lol
I'm exaclty like you...sometimes i just read the last sentence of the book before reading it to know if the hero is still alive lol
I haven't read the synopsys for book 3 i want to be surprised =P

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I didn't READ it, I skimmed for the name. So I don't really know what it's about.