Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Hunger Games (Book 1 of the Hunger Games Series) by Suzanne Collins


I'm going to give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I'd give it 5 out of 5, but there's a few things with which I have some issues.

Set many generations into the future, the world is a much different place. The United States have fallen and a new nation has risen in its place, Panem. With 13 districts outside the capitol, the people yearned for the days of their freedom. They tried to fight Panem, and as a permanent warning, they destroyed District 13 with what is believed to be nuclear bombs. The remaining 12 districts are mandated to watch the yearly Hunger Games which takes 1 boy and 1 girl from each of the 12 districts, places them in a big playing field, and they fight to the death until one is left alive.

There are some complicated rules, but essentially each person, ages 12-18 is entered, and every year the ballots compound. In order to help keep families afloat, many teens actually add more ballots to their plate through other efforts to remain alive or to sustain their families.

The story follows Katniss, a 16 year old girl, taking care of her mother and little sister, Prim (12 years old). Katniss is shocked when her sister's name is drawn, and she quickly volunteers her position to go to the games. The boy to accompany her is Peeta, the boy that risked himself to provide food for her before she realized she could sustain her family.

The two head off to the games with an unlikely edge over the others, making the rich in the capitol feel sympathy for them. Two in love, forced to fight each other.

To maintain not giving away any spoilers, I have to say I loved it up until the very end of this book. It is going to be a trilogy and I am sincerely hoping that my dear Katniss redeems herself. She royally made me angry at the end.

This is a young adult book with some violence and gore involved, but it's not too bad. Collins provides enough detail to the let the imagination take over. Though there are a few heart-wrenching parts, it is not a depressing story and it didn't really have a bad ending, there are two more books on the way! I highly recommend that you give this book a shot. Book 2, Catching Fire comes out on September 1!

6 comments:

MrsMixx said...

Alright,it does look like a good book to read. The story is very interesting and original...i'm just not sure because of the "heat-wrenching" parts. I think i'll read it anyway but in between 2 really "happy" books lol
I'll wait to see what you think of book 2 before i start reading the 1st one ;) (you're my security blanket against bad books)
mouhahaha

Stories of a Phoenix said...

HA! I'm not sure I like being a security blanket! Lol, I'm just kidding! There were a couple parts that were sad, but it didn't ruin the whole thing. It didn't make me feel anywhere near as bad as I felt after I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.

I will definitely keep you posted on what I think of book 2 :)

MrsMixx said...

Well it's just that i decided to give a try to 'If I stay' and since it will probably make me cry for a month or two, i have to regulate the ammount of sad books on my TBR list lol
But since you said this book wasn't really sad, it might be ok to read it lol =P

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Yeah, if you want me to read If I Stay first and let you know what I think, I can do that. But this I don't think will make you cry, maybe a little but not for very long.

In my opinion I think that you would be fine with this book. I can't make any guarantees about If I Stay because I haven't read it yet.

MrsMixx said...

lol i sound like a 5 years old afraid to see Bambi's mommy being killed by Hunters! *sigh*

It would be wiser for me to wait until you've read 'If I stay' before reading it.lol i have other books to read for now so i can wait =) Thank you, it sounds stupid but if you survive reading it i'll feel better lol

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I think that would be for the best. We don't want you moping around for a few months if we can avoid it!