Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pleasantly Suprised!

After some debacle after another, I was finally able to stop at the library last night to pick up Staked (the First of the Void City Series) by J. F. Lewis. Here is a synopsis from Lewis's website (http://www.authoratlarge.com/). You can also find him lurking around Twitter under the handle of @jf_lewis.

"Murder is a fact of life for the vampire Eric, owner of the DemonHeart strip club in Void City, but when he kills a werewolf in self-defense, things get wildly out of hand. Though the local Alpha and his pack of born-again lycanthropes are out for holy retribution, they're the least of Eric's worries when he finds himself caught between his girlfriend Tabitha, who has always wanted to be a vampire, and her sexy little sister Rachel, a tantric witch with a hidden agenda.

Why can't unlife be easy? All Eric wants to do is run his club, drink a little blood and be left alone.

In his quest to discover who is trying to end him and why, he must survive car crashes, embalming, sunlight, tantric magic, and werewolves on ice as well as his own nasty temper, forgetfulness, and mistakes. More diamond in the sewer than diamond in the rough, Eric is willing to take on the world in Staked, a book where love just might conquer all, even if it is twisted, evil, and undead."

As you might be able to guess, I'm really looking forward to reading this little piece of heaven!


While trying to find the book and the Book Depository, I stumbled on 3 others with my name written all over them. I hadn't received an email telling me they were ready to go, but I was very pleased nonetheless.

The other books I picked up:


ReVamped (the Second of the Void City Series) by J. F. Lewis. Assuming as though I'll enjoy Staked, which I have no reason to think I wouldn't considering what I've already read from the juicy book. Synopsis? Yes!!

"Eric has lost his strip club, his Mustang, and even Marilyn, the love of his (mortal) life. Even his body was obliterated. In short, they almost got him. But when you're a vampire, "almost" is a very important word. With a little magical help from his friends, Eric is restored to corporeal form, but his treasured Mustang gets caught up in the sorcery as well and ends up with an unlife of its own. Now, along with "Fang the Stang," he's out to save Marilyn from one of Void-City's most powerful soul-stealing demons. But salvation comes at a high price, forcing Eric to venture into his own worst nightmare, Vampire High Society, to uncover the truth about the origin of his powers.

At the same time, Eric's ex-girlfriend Tabitha, has begun to wonder exactly what it was that she admired about those High Society vampires in the first place. Her quest to find her own place in this deceptively vicious circle may lead her right back to Eric's side, if her little sister Rachel doesn't kill her first.

Eric will need all the help he can get, because it looks like someone is out for his soul, too. Blood will flow, fangs will be bared, and the claws will come out, because revenge is never pretty... and Eric has plenty to pass around."



Nightwalkers (The First of the Dark Days Series) by Jocelynn Drake. This is another highly anticipated read on my list, and I can't wait to get to it! Drake's website (http://www.jocelynndrake.com/) has plenty of juicy goodness for your reading pleasure. You can find her dawdling on Twitter as @JocelynnDrake. Here's a synopsis from her site:

"For centuries Mira has been a nightwalker -- an unstoppable enforcer for a mysterious organization that manipulates earth-shaking events from the darkest shadows. But elemental mastery over fire sets her apart from others of her night-prowling breed...and may be all that prevents her doom.

The foe she now faces is human: the vampire hunter called Danaus, who has already destroyed so many undead. For Mira, the time has come to hunt or be hunted.

But in a dimension just beyond the worlds boundaries, a banished race stirs dangerously, hungry for power, for domination, for vengeance. Already a protective seal has been breached: already blood flows like a river through the world's great cities.

And only the collaboration of two sworn enemies can save humankind...and its ferel brethern."

Ah, yes, sweet music to my ears! Moving along!

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This book is the first of a trilogy and I thought it might be worthwhile to read. Here's a synopsis from her website (http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/index.htm):

"Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When her sister is chosen by lottery, Katniss steps up to go in her place."

Needless to say it's going to be a fun-filled few weeks in store for me. I have about a dozen more books that I'm waiting for at the library, so that list is just going to keep on growing.

Stay tuned..

8 comments:

MrsMixx said...

YESSSSSSS *jumps in the air*

You probably already realized that i was a fan of Jocelynn Drake lol
and i just LOVED staked (if i could i'd marry it lol)! I already have Revamped but i'm saving it for later *my precious*

I have heard so much about the Hunger games that i'm worried i'll be disappointed if i read it. You'll have to tell me if it's good

And Yayyyy again for good reads!

Stories of a Phoenix said...

LMAO! I love the Golem reference there, my precious! My co-worker gave me a funny look when I busted out laughing!

I have heard good things about the Hunger Games, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. And as always I'll keep you in the loop about these things :).

I'm not one to be afraid of saying I don't like something. But I don't have the bad taste of dragging an author through the dirt to do it - just wanted to make that clear there. lol

MrsMixx said...

Oh i understand that! It seems like i always love the books i read lol but it's mostly because i keep silent when there's one i don't like. And because i chose carefully the ones i read) Books can't please everyone, i understand that.
It's always painful to see horrible reviews on amazon, trashings books and authors. This is why i only write reviews for the books i like ;)

Tee-hee I love Golum, my bestfriend used to watch the movies every week lol So i got my fill of "myyyyyy preciouuuuuuussss" ;)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

See, that's the problem with CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, most people don't know how to dish it out. Not to say that you can't, I mean those idiotic people that bash a book or an author. It's one thing to say that a book didn't sing for you, but another to say that someone has no talent.

I keep hearing things like a certain famous author out there "can't write herself out of a paper bag" and that's just downright mean. If she's so terrible, why does she make millions of dollars from her books and other endeavors?

That's just not right. A writer can have a style that doesn't work out for a reader, and that's all fine and dandy, but EVERY author has that problem. You can't please everyone.

I wish that if/when I'm ever published, I won't have people saying that I have no talent. People have no respect for someone else's ability to entertain.

Phew, end rant. Sorry lol!

MrsMixx said...

Don't worry i completely understand.
There are some constructive 'bad' reviews out there but there aren't that many.
And a book i'm gonna love probably won't do for someone else.

I promise if/when you get published i'll kill anybody saying you have no talent *ninja style*

Stories of a Phoenix said...

LOL! I love the ninja style deaths. They're so gruesome and yet eerily quiet at the same time...

And thanks for that! I really hope you like what I write :)

MrsMixx said...

i hope so too!
I need some Aisling and Connor love =P

Stories of a Phoenix said...

There will be love :). Maybe not quite Harlequine-esque but more like what you see in the Sookie Stackhouse books. Just enough to give you the picture, but not giving every detail. It's better to let the mind fill in the blanks!!