Thursday, July 9, 2009

I Blow a Raspberry at Thee!

I'm just kiddin'! So I thought in my immense amount of boredom at the lack of a computer network, that I'd spell out what I've got a cookin' in mah brain. I swear, it's like wielding one of those humongo swatting swords that explorers use when trekking through jungles. The vines, and weeds. Trees, 'n plants. Poison even. It's all marred up in that noggin' a mine and I'm thinking it's about time to spill a little while the mood strikes like a hot vampire itching for some neckin'!

I know, you're thinking, "Alright already, get with the goods!" Okay, fine, I do like to drag it out a bit, forgive me for indulging. It's just überfun to mess with you guys.

I'm goin' to dish out a few words of advice at this point before I really dive in to a huge vat of grapes and give ya the goods. Ready? Okay, here goes.

The library can be a godsend.

Wait, don't run off now! Just hear me out, you might be suprised at gettin' a bitta logic.

The times are tough, money is tight and you're itchin' to read that new dig that's just crawlin' under your skin like a leech that won't quit. Solution? It's free, you can usually get your grabbers ahold of them within a few weeks at WORST if there's a long wait.

I've found this little trick to come in rather handy in itchy situations. Observe. Let me lay out the scene:

You read the back of a book and it sounds like it could be pretty decent. You buy it, read it, and it's the most complicated, dence, choppy piece of donkey bologna that you immediately want to throw it away, knowing half.com won't pull more than 50 cents for ripping a black hole through your head that you'll never get back again.

So whaddya do?

Rent. It. From. The. Library. It's just that simple. Get it, read it, and if you happen to like it enough to read it again, it might be time to bite the bullet and add it to your bookshelf, where those worthy suckers actually belong.

I have to say I've had some significant luck in this department this summer. I'm readin the Jaz Parks series at the moment. I'm at the third installment and I'm about to explode if Jaz and Vayl don't get on with it. I saw the first book at the bookstore and I thought, "sounds cool". But I perservered and rented the set from the book depository. I'm so pleased I'm gonna drop the bomb on the hubby in the near future and spend a small fortune on mah new babies.

As y'all have 'bout noticed from Lee's blog that I'm a bit weird. Maybe slightly eccentric. Perhaps crazy. I'll buy that one. But hey, I'm lovin' every minute of being me. So while I've got y'all waitin' hand and foot at my new endeavors. Listen up!

My novel is still in the relatively "new" stage, so I won't get to the nitty gritty. Here's the gist of the thing:

Our heroine's a witch. Not the kind of witch that chants to the moon and wishes for all the good in the world. She had a bad childhood, marred by an evil father, responsible for the death of her mother. She was pushed over the edge when she was forced to watch her beloved dog die a slow and tragic death. She dedicated herself to the craft and was given the power to stand up and fight. She stumbles on her newfound powers at night, in the park. She can see through any other's eyes and she can also move things with her mind.

One perk of the gifted: auras. They glow, change color and texture as a person's emotions, horomones, or actions change. Only those who are gifted can see these auras around people.

She startles a werewolf and is nearly ripped to shreds when a man saves her. He's a witch too, with a dark past. As he takes her under his wing and teaches her about the craft and how to handle her powers, a religious fanatical group is after her. And they won't stop until they have her life. They have to figure out how to keep her alive, and keep their secret before it's too late.

Sink your teeth into that juicy goodness. So whaddya think? Mop up the drool from your keyboard and cheer me on. Encouragement is the best driver to gettin' things done. I'd hate to end up like those people who haven't begun to procrastinate. No, that wouldn't be good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a real comment but i'm trying to see if it works...

Anonymous said...

I hear you with the Library loving idea. In an ideal world that would be the solution for everyone...but since we're not in Happyland my local library doesn't have any books in english (alright maybe 5 or 6 classics)and even if i agreed to read translated books in french there are no fantastic/urban fantasy/YA/paranormal books in here.

I think there might be the Twilight series lol oh and maybe Harry Potter ahah that must be all.
So i'm stuck with buying the book or nothing.
But if you have a library with lots of new books i think it's a great idea to "try" them before buying them. It's easier to broaden your horizons if you can try a bit a everything.


Best example of when the Library could save me from months of torture...i have been looking at those jaz Parks novels for months, but i can't get myself to buy them. No sure i'll like them but i can't help myself looking at them on Amazon.fr lol (ohhhh cruel cruel worllllld)
*you might realize now that i'm not totally normal myself, craziness runs in my blood*

As for your novel (i thought about that when you posted it but couldn't comment then)
What you told about your novel is really appealing! I find myself wishing you wrote it already...the story is exactly what i want to read about.(did you just read my mind or something?Am i under surveillance?) I'll be waiting to know more about it! =)

I think i finished my essay on your post I'm sorry i'm really talkative, i know it but it's hard to control!

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Since your situation is more unique than others, I would highly suggest you just go ahead and buy the first book in the Jaz Parks series. If you like it, which if you like the paranormal/YA/Adult stuff involving vampires and just about everything else imaginable, I know you will like it.

I was going to just buy it, but I thought the Library theory might come in handy. Within a week I was on to book 4 of the series, and scrambling at my local bookstores to get my hands on them for my own. Now, I've read all five, and I just cannot wait until the next one is released late this October.

I'm working to get my book done as soon as possible, without sacrificing quality of course. So I will definitely keep you posted! Thank you for your support!

MrsMixx said...

I'm getting the first Jaz Parks on Monday/Tuesday =D I'll tell you what i think about it