Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bitten (Book 1 of the Women of the Otherworld Series) by Kelley Armstrong

I give this book an enthusiastic 5 out 5 stars. 10 thumbs up! Kelley Armstrong knows how to write people. She drags you in from the get go and she keeps you reeled all the way to the end, leaving you yearning for more.

This book follows the story of Elena Michaels, werewolf. The world of the werewolves is much different than that of the myth and lore than roams the earth. Totally no more than 40 total werewolves known in the world, Elena is the ONLY female to ever survive a bite from a werewolf. Elena lives a normal human life with her live-in human boyfriend in Toronto, when Jeremy, her pack leader from New York calls her with need of help. After unsuccessful attempts at returning his call, she heads out to New York to find out what is happening. She finds out that a Mutt (werewolf not affiliated with the Pack) is wreaking havoc in the area. She is filled with bittersweet feelings about being home, being able to be her true self, werewolf included. She has her reservation about Clayton, though.

Clayton, mystery man, dedicated to his job of protecting the Pack and the Pack Leader, Jeremy, and his undying love for Elena. She has a history with Clayton, one that reveals a shocking discovery of betrayal from their past, that she must work to overcome.

When the danger of one Mutt becomes many working together as a collective against the Pack, Elena must work with the others to find the men causing such death and destruction in their territory. But when things start hitting close to home she is forced to face her true feelings for Clay and who she really is inside.

9 comments:

MrsMixx said...

You can't see it but i'm actually bouncing lol i'm really really really happy you like this book! I'm a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong and Elena and Clay's books are just amazing.
Well in fact the others narrator's books too. I just enjoyed 'Living with the Dead' a bit less, because there were too many POVs and i guess having a Human main character didn't do the trick for me.

Clay and Jeremy are my favorite characters (well there are others but i don't want to tell any spoilers *grins*)
When i read Bitten i wanted to smack Elena in the head so baddddd! (i love her but she's so stubborn sometimes) ;)

I'm waiting for my copy of Frosbitten to be shipped, it's release on September 29th... and it's an Elena book *grins*

I'm pretty sure you're going to LOVE 'Stolen'

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I know that not all of the books in this series revolve around Elena, but I am looking forward to reading more. I went on a shopping spree at Half Price Books the other day and grabbed all the books in the series up to No Humans Involved (which I bought awhile back as a B&N Bargain book) so I'm really looking forward to reading those :)

Elena is very stubborn, but underneath all that external aggression it's easy to tell how she really feels. It was so obvious that she needed to be with Clay, but she didn't want to let herself realize that.

I'm going to buy Frostbitten too, but I may hold off, since I have those others to get through first.. but I will definitely be purchasing it!

MrsMixx said...

Well what i've heard from other readers is that they don't like the narrator of book 3 and 4. I actually don't mind the change in narrator. =)
I've also read the 'Men Of The Otherwolrd' wich contains the short stories relating How Jeremy found Clay, Clay's education, How Jemery got to be Alpha, the events leading to Jeremy's birth. An amazing 'anthology' i tell you.

And beginning 2010 there will be " Tales of the Otherworld" with the short story explaining how Elena began her life as a werewolf. *grins*
Kelley Armstrong is on my Autobuy author list

I just love Elena, i'm reading her tweets since it started in July, it's leading to the beginning of Frostbitten (maybe you should not read them, many spoilers)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Wait. Tweets? I am looking forward to reading the Men of the Otherworld too.

I beleive that Kelley Armstrong is on my AutoBuy list too. She really has a knack of drawing you in and really making you care, which isn't always easy right off the bat like that.

MrsMixx said...

ohh yes, Kelley Armstrong has created an account for Elena.
Elena has been leaving tweets all summer about what she's doing...

i can't tell you more because it would really give out a LOT of HUGE spoilers (but maybe you already know them lol). The tweets are leading us to the beggining of Frostbitten so we know how the characters got here. Nothing vital though, but the suspence is intense.

if you can't resist here is the account @ElenaMichaels but be warned spoilers ahead
;)

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I just realized I have been following her for awhile, I just had no idea at the time she is a character. I thought it was creative and maybe a little silly to be talking about a pack of werewolves or something lol.

Wow, I am really silly.

MrsMixx said...

Haha i nearly choke on saliva reading this.
When i think about it, i'm no better because it took me a (long) while to realize i was following a vampire.
I shouldn't have told you, you wouldn't have known about the spoilers damn i'm sorry *puppy eyes* i should learn to close my mouth.

Stories of a Phoenix said...

You follow a vampire? Which one?

Don't worry about that, I don't remember half of what I read, and what I did read I thought was funny/cool but didn't commit it to memory. No sweat, the spoiler free promise is intact :) I just know to steer clear of it for awhile :)

MrsMixx said...

i can't find him! i think i might have blocked it in my spam/bolt Blocking Spree also known as Red Sunday... ugh, it was actually kind of fun to read.... i'll try to find him/it back.

I'm glad you didn't remember the tweets =) it'll be much more fun for you