Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Street Magic (Book One of the Black London Series) by Caitlin Kittredge


This book was a hoot 'n holler all around. I loved it. Although it was definitely dark and not really perky or "fun" like the sparring session between Merit and Ethan, but it was very good.

I have to admit, I really liked Jack's character. He has his problems, but he was definitely worth the fight. The book follows Pete Caldecott, a detective working for the wonderful Scotland Yard. When children start coming up missing, Pete meets an anonymous tipper to clue her in on the whereabouts of the child. She is shocked when she sees that Jack is the informant. Back from the dead, it seems, Jack had been killed many years ago and Pete was there to see it all. He is undoubtedly a drug addict and he is full of hostility, and Pete doesn't understand why.

Pete takes the information that Jack provides and finds the child, blind and seemily stripped of their life. When another child goes missing, Pete goes on a mission to find Jack and to get his help in saving the child. In order to save the children who are becoming prey to some very dark force in London, Jack and Pete must look beyond their differences to save the children and stay alive.

9 comments:

MrsMixx said...

Yay another series we'll be reading together!
I was so surprise with the relationship between Pete and Jack...happily surprise.
(i'll write more tomorrow,i'm so going to bed soon)

MrsMixx said...

i'm back again, sorry about yesterday i was already half asleep (oh sleeping pills what would i do without you?), but i couldn't resist leaving a comment anyway ;)

As i was saying , i'm positively surprised by this book, it's very dark but it was still easy to read (yeah you know dark stuff doesn't go well with me lol). And Jack is just too funny, i also loved the fact that it was set in London a change of setting is so refreshing =)
Demon Bound is coming out in Decembre!!!! YAY

Stories of a Phoenix said...

You don't have to worry about sleep :) I'll forgive you this once. Just Kidding!!!

I really liked the fact that this was set in London. Though my exposure to the British invasion of Buffy, I understood much of the lingo that passed throughout the book, which I was pleased with myself for having such a reference offer up some assistance :)

Though the book was dark, it was still worthwhile. I didn't feel depressed, just a dig-in-and-get-it-done kinda feeling. It reminds me of the Dresden files without the witty wizardry humor involved in that.

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Oh and I plan on reading Demon Bound :) I forgot to mention that.

MrsMixx said...

yeah it was a bit depressing but i guess i accepted it better because the mood was set from the beginning, the title and the cover are very dark, i was prepared for what was coming lol

At first the British Slang and all was a bit disconcerning for me but i got the hang of it fast enough so that it didn't disturb my reading.=P

Stories of a Phoenix said...

Have you read the Nocturne City Series? I recently rented Book 1 (Night Life) from the library :)

MrsMixx said...

ohhh that's great! at least i'll know if it's a good book ! I haven't read the nocturne city series, i wanted too, but i read too many bad reviews and i don't know what to think now. So it's on my "we'll see" list.

Now we'll see how you like it =P

Stories of a Phoenix said...

That's what I'm here for :)

Mandi said...

LOVED Street Magic!! Would really like to read some of her other stuff too :) Can't wait for the next one.