Thursday, September 10, 2009

Storm Front (Book 1 of the Dresden Files Series) by Jim Butcher

This book was a hoot 'n holler book from start to finish. Sure it was tense at times, given there's a mad, crazy, loony wizard out there who's burning and bursting hearts from people's bodies. But I loved it, every step of the way.

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is a dry-witted bundle of fun when it comes to his sarcasm. I laughed from chapter 1 all the way through the end. If you are interested in audio versions, this one might just be for you. James Marsters (Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) is the narrator, and from what I've heard, he does a fantastic job with it.

So Harry is a wizard. He's even in the yellow pages as a serious investigator. Monica Sells contacts him about locating a missing husband. At the same time Detective Murphy with the police department shows him some gruesome murders that involved burning and then exploding hearts from two peoples' bodies. From here, Harry knows a wizard is responsible for the murders. When Gentleman Jonny Marcone steps in and asks Harry to "look the other way", things get interesting. Now he's got this wacko wizard trying to get him, and he's running out of time before his heart will erupt from his own chest.

But let's get back to the goods. I. Loved. This. Book. Hands down. I suggest you read it. There's lots of cool things in it and it will definitely leave you wanting to read more!

On another note The Dresden Files series was aired for 1 season on the SiFi channel. I haven't seen it, but it's on my list of things to see!

2 comments:

MrsMixx said...

Yayyyy I love the Dresden Files! And they keep on getting better and better... my favorite so far have to be Dead Beat but i can't remember which book it is.

Don't you love Bob the Skull? He's pretty hilarious, well Harry too!

my least favorite in book 2 but people tends to disagree with me, so you might like i more. Not that i didn't like it but it's the weakest in the series for me.

I didn't know about the audio book with James Marsters as a narrator but that sounds as a perfect match for Harry =)


Oh and about the TV show, it's....hum pretty different...it was good i watched them all but there's only one episode which correspond to a book the other episodes are stories that could have happened to Harry.But it's something to watch nontheless lol sorry 6AM i'm not yet fully awake.

Stories of a Phoenix said...

I really liked Bob the Skull guy. I'm not entirely sure what he is or why exactly it is he lives in the skull, but I really like him. He definitely has a thing for women and he definitely has a nice rapport with Dresden. Bob also has an uncanny ability to negotiate with Dresden. It's too funny.

I've only read Storm Front, but I am looking forward to reading the rest of his series.

I'm not usually one to do books-on-tape, but having Marsters doing it makes it very VERY intriguing. I really like Marsters!

I haven't seen any of the TV show. I'm interested in giving it a whirl, so I'll see if I can locate it on hulu :)